Monday, June 11, 2012

My first attempt at Fondant

I blame my friends and their compulsion for pigs in a blanket getting me on a baking kick recently. At least I'm smart enough to do it sunday night so I can just take it to work on Monday and not have to eat it all!

Anyway, I got the urge to make fondant. I didn't really have an urge to bake, just to ice. So, away I went with multiple blenders!

All in it's crumbcoated goodness.
 The cake is a pink lemonade (pillsbury?) mix. I made buttercream for the crumb coat. Then I started in on the fondant.

FIRST LESSON LEARNED: do not leave the marshmallow fondant sitting on a clean portion of mat. It will stick to it, even when it's not supposed to.

The amount of confectioner's sugar in my kitchen floor was extraordinary.


I used Marshmallow fondant, which I probably never truly got to the non sticky phase. But I had no problem shaping it and laying it on the cake, stickiness wise, so I went with it. 


I also wanted to play with the purchasable fondant from Wilton and make a big bow. I let it harden for like 2 hours which may not have been enough. Also, I may not be the best at bow shaping. 


But I still think it was good for a first try. The cake is more out of whack than anything. No idea why it's so short. Eh, easier to coat. 


This may be the best angle. The bow looks like it should from this angle. 


From the top, you can see where I've been cleaning off leftover powdered sugar.



CLEAN KITCHEN.

Another lesson I've learned: check the weather before messing with fondant. I woke up the next morning and my bow was completely flat. We had some pretty nasty storms, it rained all night, so the humidity probably didn't help my bow. Oh well, still tasted good and my office seemed to enjoy it.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment